Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Capital Planning & Development has an outstanding opportunity for a Director, Financial Management to lead the 8 member finance and accounting team.. CPD is responsible for campus stewardship, planning, real estate property management (including leased assets), capital project development and execution, strategic sourcing, financial management and business applications and data stewardship. CPD is the asset manager for the University's physical environment and implements projects through portfolio management. Financial operations for CPD includes a real estate accounting team as well as a construction accounting team. In addition, the reorganized CPD group will require the establishment of new policies and procedures necessary for sound financial management. The position will work closely with high level leaders throughout CPD and the University. CPD provides regular updates to the EVP, President, and Board of Regents and this role will ensure all financial presentations are meaningful, consistent and accurate.
This is an important leadership position within Capital Planning and Development (CPD) that reports to the Associate Vice President for Capital Planning and Development. CPD includes over 80 employees and overseas the management of the University's capital assets on and off campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
CPD Leadership Team 25%
1. Key financial liaison to Treasury, Financial Accounting, MAA, Facilities Services, and key academic departments 2. Provides leadership for development and maintenance of a sound financial management system for all of CPD 3. Provide leadership for development of all CPD departmental and unit budgets 4. Collaborate with University partners on financial analysis of complex real estate and construction projects
CPD Operating Budget Planning, Forecasting and Reporting 25%
1. Preparation of CPD's annual operating budget 2. Periodic budget reporting and re-forecasting 3. Develop spending plans on a modified zero-base format, supported by thorough documentation and analysis of historical spending patterns 4. Develop and maintain a revenue methodology for the various levels of services provided by CPD 5. Develop and maintain an internal management accounting structure that matches revenue sources to expenses and provides a clear level of P&L accountability for the major teams within CPD 6. Good and timely communication and accurate information management are of prime importance in this area.
Capital Plan Planning, Forecasting and Reporting 25%
1. Assists the University's Budget Office in the development, defense, and maintenance of the biennial operating and project budget submittals 2. Develop and maintain a five-year Capital Budget Plan reflecting funding requests for new projects, maintenance and repair, remodels, etc.
Operational Finance and Accounting 25%
1. Directs CPD's accounting functions, including real estate property accounting, project accounting, purchasing, accounts payable, and fee billing 2. Compliance activities required by the State and for the financial statement audits conducted at the University 3. Develop, maintain and disseminate CPD financial and record keeping guidelines, policy and procedures, which ensure compliance with the UW and State statutes.
1. Provide effective leadership both internally and externally to CPD 2. Consult with directors, discuss business concepts and philosophies, rate making philosophies and cost allocation and recovery methodologies 3. Make assignments, establish deadlines and set priorities 4. Determine that accounting procedures and financial analysis and controls are adequate, and the financial information needs of the CPD organization and its customers are met 5. Provide technical direction and guidance of financial reports to effect sound financial management functions across organizational lines 6. Direct and oversee development and provision of financial reports to effect sound financial practices throughout CPD both for projects and operations 7. Provide and ensure effective, consistent and fair direction and management of staff 8. Develop and disperse directives, guidance and information to each director to assist in department budget preparation 9. Provide technical assistance to each director in individual budget preparation 10. Provide an internal control function for the CPD organization, assuring that all University required procedures for timekeeping, control of financial resources, records and accountability are being met 11. Analyze resources available and make recommendations to the AVP for the distribution of resources among programs 12. Collect and review all department and project budget data to maintain consistency with CPD budget requirements 13. Formulate overall departmental budget to be approved and submitted to the AVP 14. Assist, develop and coordinate on all financial submittals to the Board of Regents 15. Collect and analyze financial information throughout the year for possible mid-year adjustment and guidance in the upcoming year's budget 16. Develop ongoing budget performance metrics, reports and analysis providing financial guidance and recommendations to Directors and AVP
This position will directly supervise the Assistant Director of Financial Management CPD and lead a team of 8 professionals responsible for real estate, construction and operational accounting.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or Accounting.
Nine or more years of relevant experience to include: -Experience leading a team of financial and/or accounting professionals responsible for total revenue or expenses of over $10M -Experience as a Controller or higher level of finance and accounting position -Managerial experience with more than 3 direct reports -Strong leadership, supervisory and management skills -Familiarity with financial statement audits -Experience preparing and presenting board level quality reporting -Experience developing a comprehensive financial plan, providing periodic updates, reforecasting and running the plan through sensitivity analyses.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Real estate experience
Financial Planning and Analysis experience
CPA, Active or Inactive
Conditions of Employment:
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select Apply to this position. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your My Jobs page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergra...duate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.