Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Learning Systems, the successful candidate will act as a member of the Technology-enhanced Learning and Online Strategies (TLOS) Learning Systems team. TLOS, a division of Virginia Tech Information Technology, is responsible for the technology infrastructure used at Virginia Tech for various systems related to teaching and learning. These systems include, but are not limited to our Learning Management System, our Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT) survey system , our Networked Learning Initiatives system, our Blogging Platform, and our multi-media systems for Video Conferencing, Lecture Capture, and Video Content Management. It is expected that this tool portfolio will grow and change over the next several years.
The candidate will be the primary technical expert for our multi-media platforms. This person will help us choose future platforms as we grow and change – helping us to plan our strategy. Further she/he will own the baselines for "video-enabled classrooms" setting the standards for others to follow and ensuring sound technology choices are made. Our hire will help us integrate video into other teaching and learning systems. The successful candidate will be our application administrator – doing configuration, setup, and Tier 3 support for our video systems. The job requires both a base of technical knowledge of systems, along with the ability to understand how the applications are used and skills in communicating this to the rest of the department.
- Performs both routine and project based application administration duties on teaching and learning systems related to video and audio content.
- Owns and manages baseline configuration for video-enabled classrooms. Plans video strategy working with the leadership team in TLOS.
- Understands, tests, and select both audio and video related equipment to keep us in line with current industry best practices. Also monitors video streams and troubleshoots problems anywhere in the video life-cycle, working with external partners when necessary.
- Works collaboratively with other teams within TLOS (support, quality assurance, trainers, instructional designers) to meet project goals and organizational objectives.
- Works with the TLOS Development team to put development projects into pilot and production stages. Helps design workflows related to audio/video file processing that can be translated into code/systems.
- Handles escalated support tickets that require someone with deep systems knowledge to be involved (this is Tier 3 support – after both the VT help desk and the TLOS support personnel have already reviewed the incident).
- Acts as a backup for our general purpose application administrator that supports systems beyond video/audio specific ones.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or similar field.
- Experience in system or application administration for large, complex, distributed web-based systems.
- Background in video/audio processing, including both software and hardware components.
- Experience supporting and using video based web-conferencing tools like Skype, Google Hangouts, or Cisco Webex.
- Basic understanding of relational databases and SQL.
- Demonstrable knowledge of troubleshooting "General internet failures" (such as DNS or HTTP/HTTPS connection issues).
- Availability to be "on call" to address production system issues and outages.
- Knowledge of change control practices/procedures and usage of configuration management software to track baselines and changes.
- Demonstrated skills with cameras, microphones, mixers, video boards and associated software used in classroom settings, as to provide Tier 3 support and assist in room baselines.
- Experience working in a Linux command line environment.
- Proficiency with source control systems such as Git.
- Understanding of concepts/protocols related to web & network applications, such as HTTP, SOAP, RTMP/RTSP, SSL, LDAP, NFS, and reading/using API's.
- Experience with MySQL, Oracle, or similar RDBMS platforms.
- Programming and/or scripting experience in any of: Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Bash, and/or Ruby.
- Background working with cloud-hosted services like those in Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Basic knowledge related to Docker would be a plus.
- Experience with Lecture Capture systems like Echo360, Panopto, or MediaSite.
-Experience working in higher education.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfil...ls its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).