The University of Tennessee at Martin seeks highly qualified applicants for the position of Equity and Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator. The position reports directly to the Chancellor of the University.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
* Develop strategies, programs, and services to cultivate, support, and assess institutional diversity and compliance initiatives;
* Interpret, analyze, and advise on the application of EEO and Affirmative Action laws and regulations in an employment and academic setting;
* Review, monitor and audit searches for faculty and staff to ensure compliance with University, State and Federal regulatory and policy requirements;
* Monitor faculty searches and promote best practices in sourcing and attracting a qualified diverse pool of applicants in an effort to address underrepresented populations with the University;
* Provide counsel to members of the University community concerning alleged complaints of discrimination under Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and other similar statutes and University policies; also, investigate and attempt to resolve all such complaints filed against the University both on and off campus (UT Martin Centers at Jackson, Selmer, Ripley, Parsons, and Somerville), and report the findings to federal and state agencies;
* Participate in planning and implementing educational programs on issues of violence and discrimination based on gender and collaborating with other offices on campus on similar programs in accordance with current legislative mandates such as Title IX and VAWA;
* Spearhead, in active consultation with the appropriate advisory search committees, the creative recruitment of outstanding, diverse candidates for administrative, faculty, and staff positions;
* Prepare compliance reports and assurance surveys as may be required by the UT System, Veteran's Employment and Training Service, Title VI, Title IX, etc.;
* Coordinate the University's annual affirmative action plan, to including conducting available studies, using workforce, census, and other data;
* Conduct training programs on such subjects as cultural diversity, Title IX including sexual harassment, Title VI, and The Americans with Disabilities Act;
* Conduct interviews of complainants, respondents, witnesses, and management, and review relevant documentation, physical evidence, and statistical information;
* Create and maintain an atmosphere within the University community that seeks and supports diversity and inclusion in all aspects of University life.
* Perform duties and responsibilities in a positive, professional and collaborative manner.
Applicants must have a bachelor's degree and seven years of progressive experience in a related area; excellent written and interpersonal communication skills; a demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations; knowledge of applicable state and federal laws; the ability to effectively collect, analyze, evaluate, and prepare statistical data; and the ability to operate independently. Additional preference will be given to candidates with a master's or law (J.D.) degree from an accredited university, successful equity and diversity experience at a four-year university, or documented evidence of success in investigating complex complaints of discrimination. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Applicants must apply online and include a letter addressing the requirements of the position, current vitae/resume, and a statement of diversity philosophy. In addition, please have three letters of recommendation sent to Dr. Brian W. Donavant, Chair; Equity and Diversity Officer Search Committee; 145 Gooch Hall; The University of Tennessee at Martin; Martin, TN 38238.
The Search Committee will begin initial screening for the position on September 1, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled, with an anticipated start date of January 2, 2018.
The primary purpose of the University of Tennessee at Martin is to provide a quality undergraduate education in a traditional collegiate atmosphere characterized at all levels by close collaboration among students, faculty and staff. In addition, the university is dedicated to meeting lifelong educational needs by providing graduate programs, distance-learning opportunities and other creative ende...avors. Furthermore, the university is committed to advancing the regional and global community through scholarly activities, research and public service.