Schedule: Variable as needed for student learning.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities, covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience, and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
1) Assists nursing students on laboratory skills during scheduled lab sessions and open lab times. Teaches IV therapy, dressing changes, physical assessment, giving injections and other nursing skills.
2) Prepares laboratory for lab instruction, and maintains laboratory facilities following use.
3) Collaborates with nursing faculty pertaining to laboratory needs.
4) Manages and orders supplies for each quarter's use according to number of students and faculty. Maintains ample and updated supplies and equipment in accordance with approved budget.
5) Oversees Nursing Interactive Video Lab. Assists students in using facility properly, monitors computer functions and reports equipment failure to help desk.
6) Repairs and cleans equipment to maintain good working order. Cleans and performs routine maintenance on equipment. Collaborates with physical plant to repair beds, mannequins, lights, and other equipment.
7) Maintains biohazard materials including bloodborne pathogens and sharps disposal in accordance with policy to ensure public safety.
8) Maintains inventory. Organizes and labels supply closets. Identifies supply needs and ensures availability for students.
9) Monitors and records supplies that enter laboratory, requiring pharmacy license approval, including IV fluids and injectible solutions. Documents items and records amount of each item, NDC number, lot number, expiration dates, date opened, and dates discarded.
10) Prepares lab for use by community testing services to certify nursing assistants and other related healthcare jobs. Coordinates, prepares and sets-up use of Laboratory by other classes or departments.
11) Reviews laboratory budget and cost of items with chairperson annually to monitor costs and provide substantiating data to adjust and set student lab fees.
12) Counsels students on priorities and other matters to provide direction, and directs students to instructors, advisors or other appropriate persons for information or intervention.
13) Maintains confidentiality of student records and other information.
14) Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance and works overtime as required to meet workload demands. Performs other related duties as required.
Usual Physical Demands: The incumbent of this position typically exhibits the physical demands identified in the Functional Job Analysis on file in the College's Human Resources Department and which is periodically reviewed and updated. Physical demands listed in the Functional Job Analysis are not job qualification standards, but are used to help the College assess and determine reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals covered by the American's with Disabilities Act.
While performing duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee regularly sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks and uses hands to hold and control equipment and tools. The employee regularly reaches with hands and arms, climbs, balances, stoops, kneels, crouches or crawls. Employee regularly converses with others in person. Vision demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee lifts or exerts force of varying weight of up to 50 pounds.
Working Conditions: Normal office working conditions. Employee is occasionally exposed to dirt, dust, debris, smells and outdoor weather conditions when moving or installing equipment. Employee is occasionally exposed to minor cuts, burns or other incapacitating injury and risk of electrical shock. Employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of: science of nursing; learning styles; standard laboratory practices; laboratory supplies; MSDS procedures; pharmacy license requirements; inventory control. Ability to: apply nursing practices to practical situations; develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, students, faculty, and general public; maintain confidential and sensitive information; maintain accurate and complete records.
Minimum qualifications for this position are: Bachelor's Degree in Science of Nursing with at least 1 year current and progressively responsible experience in an acute care setting. State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to worksite(s).
Columbus State Community College has been meeting the diverse educational needs of the Central Ohio community for more than 50 years. The college is proud to be an important contributor to the growth and progress of the region and to serve as the front door to higher education in Central Ohio. From the first graduating class in 1965 through this year, 50,000 students have earned associate degrees ...in 50-plus technical fields and academic transfer programs. Columbus State also offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs whose coursework fulfills the freshman and sophomore year requirements for bachelor’s degree programs offered by four-year colleges and universities throughout the state. Specific transfer agreements with more than 40 colleges and universities are in place at Columbus State, and new direct-to degree partnership programs are being developed all the time. Columbus State now has two campuses serving Central Ohio educational needs. The Columbus Campus is located on 85 acres in downtown Columbus. The 108-acre, full-service Delaware Campus welcomed its first students in 2010. Additionally, Columbus State offers classes at nine convenient regional learning centers throughout Central Ohio.