This position is responsible for operating and maintaining the Innovation Lab at the Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley Campus. This may involve maintaining and/or providing training on various equipment in the lab, primarily hand tools, basic electronic test equipment, soldering stations and 3-D printer, as needed.
S/he will also be responsible for the following:
- Understanding and enforcing all safety items regarding proper lab and equipment usage.
- Ensuring only properly trained and approved personnel use the lab facilities
- Ensuring that all MSDS are current for any materials that require them
- Keeping the lab secure and monitoring access control
- Purchasing lab equipment and supplies
- Maintaining an up-to-date inventory of all parts, tools, machines, etc.
- Maintaining list of loaned tools and ensuring their timely return to the lab
- Assisting with lab reconfiguration projects as needed
- Answering questions from students, staff and faculty
- Conducting training sessions on the lab equipment
- Keeping the lab clean and in good working order and appearance
- Assisting with lab demos for visitors
S/he will have good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with all constituents of the campus (faculty, students, staff).
This is a part-time role with scheduled weekly hours of approximately 2 - 4 hours/week. It is funded until June 30th, 2018 with the potential to extend based on available funding.
Associate's degree in electronics, computer technology, or related field required
Minimum one year of technical training experience
Strong communication skills
Experience with AutoCAD, MasterCAM, SolidWorks required
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
:Facilities / Operations / Safety
:United States-California-Silicon Valley
Time Type:Part Time
:SILICON VALLEY ADMIN
Minimum Education Level:Associate's Degree or equivalent
Carnegie Mellon (www.cmu.edu) is a private, internationally ranked research university with programs in areas ranging from science, technology and business, to public policy, the humanities and the arts. More than 12,000 students in the university’s seven schools and colleges benefit from a small student-to-faculty ratio and an education characterized by its focus on creating and implementing solu...tions for real problems, interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation. A global university, Carnegie Mellon’s main campus in the United States is in Pittsburgh, Pa. It has campuses in California’s Silicon Valley and Qatar, and programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Mexico.