The Center for Shock, Trauma and Anesthesiology Research (STAR)/Trauma Research Core at the University of Maryland, Baltimore is seeking a Nurse Research I, MRI. Under general supervision, serves as the primary technical support to a clinical drug trial or other research study, the scope and complexity of which requires licensure as a Registered Nurse. This involves implementing specific treatment protocols, obtaining and organizing research data, and providing direct patient care.
The position provides an exciting opportunity to work in a fast past environment on multiple projects including federally funded studies and industry sponsored drug and device trials. The research may focus on any of the primary areas of research to include trauma resuscitation, traumatic brain injury, post traumatic complications, neuro intensive care, clinical outcomes, critical care, sepsis, or acute lung injury.
The selected candidates must be able to work rotating shifts and a schedule which would include working evenings, nights and weekends.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
1. Assists in identifying and recruiting volunteers to participate in clinical drug trials or other research studies. Conducts interviews to determine eligibility using established selection/exclusion criteria.
2. Explains study objectives, requirements, risks, and benefits with potential volunteers to assist them in making a decision regarding their participation.
3. Elicits a complete medical history and conducts physical assessments such as taking vital signs.
4. Implements research protocol including study drug, therapy, and/or invasive procedures. Routinely monitors participants to ensure that medications are being taken in accordance with research protocol.
5. Observes physical and emotional reactions to medications and/or treatments. Reports irregularities and adverse effects to appropriate medical personnel.
6. Obtains, processes, and transports specimens to appropriate laboratory according to established aseptic technique. Performs venipunctures and fingersticks to obtain blood specimens.
7. Completes case report forms and other records documenting activities such as treatments and medications received. Compiles and presents statistics of study progress.
8. Reviews medical records and extracts, enters, and updates information into an automated data file or system.
9. Provides health education information to study participants and their families.
10. Facilitates clinic process by scheduling and following-up appointments; overseeing patient flow; preparing patients for procedures; preparing examination and treatment rooms; and maintaining clinic supplies.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
LICENSURE: Currently licensed with the Maryland State Board of Examiners of Nurses as a Registered Nurse under Maryland State Law.
EXPERIENCE: One year experience as a Registered Nurse.
Thorough knowledge of the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Registered Nurses. Thorough knowledge of the principles of aseptic technique and infection control including blood and body fluid precautions. Ability to perform extensive standing and walking. Thorough knowledge, skill, and ability to perform various medical and nursing procedures and to operate medical equipment. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to gather and interpret quantitative and qualitative data. Ability to operate computers and other office equipment. Skill and ability to interact with the public, health care providers, agencies, and facilities. Thorough knowledge of and compliance with confidentiality of records and communications regarding clients.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Hiring Range: $53,414 - $60,000
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine the ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class will be required to comply with the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Registered Nurses. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. Overtime, weekend, on-call and shift work may be required in some positions.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, globa...l health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.