Posting Summary: Under the general direction of the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs is responsible for planning, directing, administering and assessing assigned student service areas; AVP will ensure student affairs is in compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
The position will serve as the deputy chief student affairs administrator and work collaboratively with all areas within the university to create an optimal environment for students to live, learn and grow.
Duties and Responsibilities: 1. Promote strategies and programs designed to positively impact student satisfaction, engagement and well-being.
2. Leads and performs personnel management, program planning, coordination and evaluation, policy development, and budget management for assigned areas i.e. Housing and Residence Life, Counseling Services, Health Center, Campus Center and Wellness Center; and others as assigned.
3. Utilizes assessment data to make strategic and transformative changes for areas supervised and the division of student affairs. Implements best practice models to achieve national accreditation for counseling services and health center.
4. Establish and develop an effective health and counseling services model that assures access to services and addresses student mental and physical health.
5. Assesses the needs of students and enriches the quality of the student experience at the University; interacts with faculty and staff to provide holistic learning and well-being opportunities for students.
6. Provides leadership for special projects; prepares reports (i.e., financial reports, annual reviews, strategic planning reports, etc.).
7. Provides leadership for student affairs facilities management by serving as the Student Affairs lead for student affairs construction and renovation projects.
8. Works collaboratively with student affairs leadership team to strategically plan for growth, integrate services, build community among staff, and continually improve the student experience.
9. Manages budgets effectively to maintain quality, accommodate growth, support innovative practices, and ensure fiduciary responsibility.
Tennessee State University is committed to excellence and has been consistently listed in the U.S. News & World Report’s “Guide to America’s Best Colleges” for more than a decade. Founded in 1912, TSU is a comprehensive, urban, co-educational, land-grant institution in Nashville, Tennessee. The university has been served by seven presidents, including Dr. Glenda Baskin Glover, who is currently ser...ving as our eighth president.TWO CAMPUSESOur Nashville home offers two locations—the 500-acre main campus nestles in a beautiful residential neighborhood along the Cumberland River, and the downtown Avon Williams campus sits near the center of Nashville’s business and government district.