Electrical - System Reliabiltiy Technician-(170000QF)
University of Maryland Baltimore is currently seeking an Electrical System Reliability Technician for the Department of Facilities, Operations and Maintenance - Electric Shop. Under general supervision, the selected candidate performs operation, testing, evaluation, analysis, maintenanceand repairs of electrical utility distribution systems, energy conservation systems, andother critical building systems and components to assure the availability, reliabilityand continuity of facilities operations and services. May lead and train others in thecompletion of this work. This job is typically found in an academic support or researchenvironment.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
1. Maintains critical systems reliability through the use and application of test andanalysis instruments to include thermograpic imaging, vibration analysis, ultrasonicdetection, precision alignment, electrical signature and motor analysis instruments.
2. Operates, tests and maintains high voltage electrical equipment to include 15kv airswitches,dry and liquid filled transformers, thermal and electronic trip circuitbreakers, distribution and safety equipment, wiring, ducts and conduits.
3. Tests with appropriate technique, tools and instruments, analyzes and interprets datafrom circuit breaker, insulation and contact resistance, control relay and transformerturns ratios testing. Adjusts, repairs or coordinates repair of deficiencies noted fromtesting.
4. Performs testing, maintenance and repairs to emergency power generation, switchingand distribution controls and equipment to include the repair of both mechanical andelectrical components.
5. Installs, maintains and repairs motors and motor controllers, including soft-startsand variable frequency drives, form fractional horsepower 120 volt motors to those servedby high voltage.
6. Prepares technical reports and project scope with regard to systems reliability,deficiency identification, repairs recommendations, maintenance recordation, and systemsavailability and readiness employing data, imaging and analyses collected through systemtesting.
7. Reads and interprets blue prints, schematic drawings and specifications.
8. Prepares estimates of time, labor and materials necessary to maintain systems reliability.
9. Provides guidance and training to others, may lead special projects and monitor theperformance of contractors working on assigned building systems and components.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide arepresentative summary of the major duties and responsibilities ofthis job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specificduties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Six years in related work
Comprehensive knowledge and skills of the principles of high voltage electricity and thepractices, tools, instruments and techniques employed in reliability centered maintenanceof critical building systems and components. Thorough knowledge of OSHA regulationsrelated to the electrical trades; of National Electric Code; and of the mathematicsrequired to record, analyze and report on systems condition. Thorough knowledge of highvoltage electrical systems and practices , motor control systems, emergency powergeneration and distribution systems, energy conservation practices and systems, and othercritical building infrastructure and life safety systems. Skill in the installation,repair and maintenance of critical building equipment and systems; in the use andmaintenance of tools and equipment of the trade; in the use of thermographic imagingequipment, in the use of other test and analysis tools to include ultrasonic, precisionalignment, vibration analysis, motor analysis, electrical signature analysis and in usingcomputers and related software to analyze and diagnose utilities system problems.Ability to read and explain manufacturer recommendations and technical specifications anddrawings regarding maintenance, and operation of building systems and components; toprepare written reports; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; toprovide direction and training to mechanics and other maintenance personnel; to usecomputers for analysis and reporting of system operations; assist in the preparation ofdetailed project scope requirements and to monitor the performance of contractorssupporting installation, modifications and repairs to critical building systems; to workin, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to work at heights up to 35feet; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools and supplies and/or exert force up to 50 lbs.;to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on machinery and equipment; to work inhazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces, and adverse weather or temperatureconditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additionalrelated experience and formal education in which one has gained theknowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of thework of the job class may be substituted for the education orexperience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 collegecredits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medicalexaminations to determine ability to perform the job. Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required. Possession of a Maryland State certification as a licensed maintenance electrician may be required. Candidates selected for employment must be available to respond and return to the campus in the event of an emergency.
Based on theduties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Ifaccommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing &Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protectedveterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, globa...l health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.